09 June 2008

tiny arrival

My husband's sister had a baby last week . . . ten weeks early, thanks to Preeclampsia (ie, Toxemia). The typical baby arriving at 30 weeks and 1 day should weigh in around 3 lbs. This sweet girl was 2 lbs 2 oz.

The good news is that the worst seems to be over--she is now being fed 2 cc of breastmilk every three hours, has a fighting personality and appears to be a happy girl from all accounts (her daddy calms her down, her mommy gets her excited, much like their personalities!).

The next two months will be long for my sister-in-law and her husband, and somewhat long for the rest of the family as we bide the time with them; they expect her to be in NICU until close to her due date (which was Aug 11).

My children are so excited to have a "real" cousin...we have distant cousins and "chosen" cousins, but now they have a cousin of their own and my husband is beyond thrilled to be an uncle. I know I'm an aunt, but I suppose it will hit home a bit more when it's my brother who has a baby (this is a man who doesn't even have remotely possible prospect...my hopes are slim for a while yet!).

Welcome little one.

No comments: