09 June 2005

midnight rambling

Life goes by so incredibly fast. I am astounded that Miss C is now four months old. When did she stop being my little helpless newborn? Today she proudly found her toes. Oh, she looked so delighted every time her tiny hand wrapped around them. She is also fond of shopping...typical girl that she is! When at the store, she usually is beyond content to sit quietly, watching everything go by. I'm sure that contentment will soon change to "Mommy, can I get that?" as I hear from my son at least 20 times in one trip. haha!

This year has been a year of delights, trials, joy and tears. I feel like a wuss complaining once more of our many illnesses. In truth, since before Miss C was born, we've had two or three 'well' weeks, none of which were really consecutive. When I was so busy in early May, I should have shut up and been happy to be healthy. Instead we spiraled into yet another round of sickness. Miss C actually got chicken pox from my shingles. She also managed a ruptured ear drum without running a fever or indicating she was in any pain for more than five minutes one evening. We discovered the ear infection while sitting in the rash room ('in case' my shingles were still active, which we doubted) at the pediatician's office waiting for Little B's ear to be checked from his last infection. I was checking to see if her ear wax needed a good digging...it always balls up into a hard wad of dried up wax that I work hard to remove. I noticed it was wet and stinky. So, we had our pediatrician check her out. We were all surprised to find the infection. Yup, a too-easy little girl (I didn't know such a thing was possible!). I will have to watch her very close for signs of illness from here on out.

We had a few days of peace while everyone felt healthy...and I told someone that I was simply waiting for the next bomb to drop. Then, yesterday, my husband comes home from work and comments that he's had a rash on his arm all day. Why did I feel any surprise. We're still not actually sure what it is (and it looks exactly the same after 24 hours), but are watching it for potential poison ivy...shingles aren't supposed to be contagious except as chicken pox which he's had, yet it reminds me so acutely of my shingles (sans the pain which would be severe).

It's somewhat overhwelming to my tired mind tonight. We'll see what happens in the next few days.

In the meantime, I am happy that Miss C's therapy has continued to go extremely well. She is completely age appropriate with her arm and at this point, only those of us who know to watch for it can see any difference between left and right. She is so very much my miracle baby. Mom and I were talking about it today. I feel both my kids are miracles in their own way, and with Miss C, it's having watched the Lord battle for my baby's life. It was seconds from draining away at her birth, but His hand was on her. Some days these thoughts linger on the edge of my mind and today was one of those. Tears fought for freedom as I'd watch her and know that she is a double blessing. God certainly has a plan for this big-eyed little girl.

In spite of so many illnesses this year, I can truly say that I have much to be thankful for and am deeply blessed. My heart is full and overflowing.

No comments: