20 May 2004

night's cocoon

I love the sounds of night after a heavy rain...everything is more pronounced, more clear, more soothing. It rests the weary soul and washes away the multitude of mental exercises that consume oneself. The sounds of insects and distant hum of the night blend into a sweet melody, the darkness of night wrapping its cocoon around me...

If only I had been able to take the time to enjoy this a bit longer, I would have savored it. It's times like these I most enjoy sitting outside alone, praying and absorbing my God. He feels so close when I can see and hear the night around me, not distracted by the calls of children or curious queries produced by a three year old's fascinted mind.

As it were, we arrived home too late for Little B's bathtime and rushing to get ready for bed (I heard the beauty of night going from car to house). But, alas, I've been waking up a bit too early for my liking as well, and in that I am able to find a few minute of solace in my Father's arms...some days I do not focus as well, but other days my heart turns easily to Him and shares it's thoughts and burdens. I truly need to set aside a time for myself to do this. I fear it is not something I have been diligent about recently. But when I do spend such times, I am so refreshed and enjoy them deeply...

No comments: