21 April 2009

the beginning

So, today we started homeschooling.

Yesterday was the big day of withdrawing him from school and turning in our intent to homeschool. He seemed a bit emotional and cranky and with the huge change I decided to "take a day off" on the first day. ha!

Today went decently well. I don't have official curriculum, so I'm working to cover the topics he's accustomed to in each of the main subjects....reinforcing the math and spelling, etc. For science, I tried a totally different approach - we have the book The Way Things Work by David Macaulay that completely delights Little B...so, I had him choose a topic and write a few sentences on how it works. Later this week, we'll research it online as well as at the library. If applicable he can attempt to build it. He loves to read and will do plenty of that without my prompting, so I'll encourage some history stories and have him talk about it with me. And a friend made him a special writing notebook a while back with a box of "writing prompts" to encourage stories and thoughts on paper...we'll use that as a great tool in the coming weeks as well. As for PE, he's taking Taekwondo three times a week, so it keeps it simple!

Our school system only has 5 weeks left (25 days, starting yesterday), counting this week. I gave myself a few extra weeks to finish our school year when I turned in the form just so we can get a good feel for what works best.

Next year, I will need a good curriculum. I have begun diving into the depths of this new world; I hope I surface with confidence! The options are vast and I want to choose a curriculum that will work well for him. Thankfully, I've got a few friends who homeschool and can offer tips and suggestions.

Miss C started homeschool today as well - she was SO excited that she was ready to start an hour early and did all the sheets I'd printed for most of the week. I do believe I'll need to look further for resources for her. She's hoping to learn to read soon!

Keeping up with Baby J each morning will be my biggest challenge. . .

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Hi. I'm just here visiting your site, and I have to say, I like it a lot. You have some great stuff to check out. So, I invite you to come check out my site. I would love to have you over. :D

kim said...

Funny you just commented on my blog - i was just thinking about you! Hope you're doing well and that the start of the homeschooling is off to a great start! Props to you for doing that!! Have a great Tuesday! (:
Oh and I can't believe I only have 3 more weeks, either! Ahhhh! I'm so ready (: hehe

Sarah said...

How's homeschooling going? Are you enjoying some of your days or going crazy? I homeschool, and I do a lot of this under my breath, "It doesn't have to be perfect for us to be happy and to learn." ALL DAY LONG. ;)

Sarah

Our Love Story said...

How is it going? Busy I assume!! What is it about this time of year that we are all so busy?...

I think about you often!!!

Love,
Amber

SlushTurtle said...

I'm homeschooling too! :) I am sure it will be so much better for your boy! I'm sorry he had a rough time of it!